Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Finding Who You Really Are

That's the title of the chapter discussed last night during the webinar with Oprah and Eckhart. One thing that stood out for me was his answer to a question posed by one of the Skypers. She described herself as highly sensitive (I am, also) and asked how to avoid reacting to the "small stuff", as he advises in the book, when sensitive people are bothered by small stuff every day.

He asked for an example, and she mentioned noise and chaos, both of which bother me, too.

What he said was that the most important thing she could do would be to understand that that there are three levels. One level is her awareness of the bothersome stimulus (noise, etc), the second level is her reaction to the bothersome stimulus (irritability was one possible reaction) and the third level is her awareness of that reaction.

He did not deny that she was sensitive, but he did insist that she was more than her reaction to it and that as she became more aware of that distinction, she might find that her reaction would diminish.

Well, that would be great!

He also talked about experiencing spaciousness, which I think is what I do when I stare at the moon or watch the trees blow in the wind.

And I loved what he said about abundance because it was a great reminder to practice gratitude!

Each week, I am surprised by how much I get out of the webinar. Like Oprah said, the more you encounter the material, the more it sinks in and also, you may notice something you hadn't before.

No comments: