Thursday, December 18, 2008

What Were You Thinking?

From an interview with beliefnet.com...

Rick Warren: I’m opposed to having a brother and sister be together and call that marriage. I’m opposed to an older guy marrying a child and calling that a marriage. I’m opposed to one guy having multiple wives and calling that marriage.

Steven Waldman: Do you think, though, that they are equivalent to having gays getting married?

Rick Warren: Oh I do. …


These comparisons really anger me!

I see them as being divisive and offensive and insulting. And if I, personally, were throwing a party to celebrate some momentous occasion in my own life, I would never invite him. I wouldn't want him anywhere near it.

What is our President-Elect thinking?

He said today that he is a "fierce advocate of equality for gay and lesbian Americans". Lovely to hear that from him and how wonderful that he has a reason to say it.

But his choice to have Rick Warren perform the invocation at his inauguration weakens the impact of that statement.

No comments: