Our worship today will differ from place to place. Some services will focus on the great litany of prayers. Others will use the seven last words of Jesus. Some of us will walk the stations of the cross. Others will participate in a Tennebrae service of shadows and light.
I hope that this Friday Five will be a meaningful part of your Good Friday. God's blessings to you on your journey.
1) Our prayer concerns are as varied as we are this day. For whom would you like us to pray?
Well, my son and I are both feeling a little bit under the weather these past few days. If it weren't for the Good Friday service, I would probably not leave the house. I'd appreciate prayer for both of us.
2) Are there things you have done or will do today to help the young ones understand this important day in our lives?
My son and I have been reading and discussing the appropriate stories in his children's Bible. The thought of Jesus being killed is upsetting to him. He has been trying to read things himself as much as he can, but he handed that story to me to read because he didn't want to read it.
3) Music plays an important part in sharing the story of this day. Is there a hymn or piece of music that you have found particularly meaningful to your celebrations of Good Friday?
This guitar piece is really beautiful!
I like Amy Grant's version, too, but couldn't find it.
I did find "Emmanuel" and Jonathan and I sang that with great enthusiasm!
4) As you hear the passion narrative, is there a character that you particularly resonate with?
I can relate to Jesus. There are some things you feel you have to do that you really, really would rather not. OTOH, if I were Him, I would have changed my mind completely and said, "what was I thinking?". So it's a good thing I'm not! :)
It reminds me a little of praying out loud in front of people. I've been in groups where I felt like God was telling me to say something. And there have been times when I just didn't do it. Then, within minutes, someone else did.
If I were in Jesus's position, approaching Good Friday, we'd all be waiting to see who else God would bring along.
I always end up in awe that He was willing to go through with it!
5) Where have you seen the gracious God of love at work lately?
Everywhere! Just last night, I was staring at the moon and as always, I felt soothed and comforted.