Friday, April 4, 2008

A Revelation Friday Five

From Sally at RevGalBlogPals...

With this Sunday's gospel reading in mind, that wonderful revelation of Christ to the companions on the Emmaus road, I wonder where you might have been surprised by God's revelation recently.So with no further waffle I offer you this week's Friday 5:

How has God revealed him/herself to you in a:

1. Book: Right before Easter, I read those chapters in John where Jesus is saying goodbye and trying to prepare his disciples. It's like he's trying to make sure he's said and done everything he needs to do before he leaves them.

I was really touched by that, it felt like looking into his heart.

2.Film: There's a scene in Brokeback Mountain, toward the end, where Ennis goes to Jack's house and meets his parents. The tenderness and concern offered by Jack's mother and the way Ennis found the shirts both seem like the hand of God in Ennis's life.

3. Song: The music at my church frequently moves me. Most of the time, it's the expressions on each person's face. Their vulnerability, their transparency, the way they make a gift of themselves during the performance.

Well, on Easter Sunday, my pastor was one of the men who sang the song I mentioned in a post a week or so ago. The video is there, too, if you'd like to see what I mean. When he sang, it was like looking at his heart! But it was like looking in one of those weird mirrors--I saw his heart but I also saw God. And what a beautiful sight!!

4. Another person: Earlier this week (also, mentioned in another post), my son reminded me all day not to forget to "call the lady" to find out if we could buy her washer and dryer. Well, it turned out that the buyer she'd expected did, indeed, show up to buy it as planned.

When I told my son, he burst into tears and said, "I really wanted that for you!".

The surprise I felt is just like the surprise I sometimes feel when it dawns on me that God loves me purely in just that way.

5. Creation: I marvel each Spring as everything sprouts and blooms and makes itself new. Just yesterday or the day before, I was thinking about how reassuring that is about God's faithfulness in our lives in general.

Bonus answer: your choice- share something encouraging/ amazing/ humbling that has happened to you recently!

The fullness and the generosity of my son's love humbles me every day!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Wonderful friday five!

RevAnne said...

Great play. That scene from Brokeback Mountain also touched me deeply.