Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Five: the Water and the Word

From RevGalBlogPals...

For today's five, tell us about your baptismal experiences.

Okay, if you insist, but you're gonna be bored...

When and where were you baptized? Do you remember it? Know any interesting tidbits?

Apparently, my baptism was not of interest. My mother has told me it was in a church in the city where I was born, but the most interesting thing about it was that my godmother, Rita, was there. I liked her!

What's the most unexpected thing you've ever witnessed at a baptism?

I am a member of a very gay-friendly church, but I wasn't aware that the minister performed baptisms with gay parents until I saw one. Suddenly, I noticed there were two dads and a baby up there!!

I was very moved as I have been each time it has happened since.

Does your congregation have any special traditions surrounding baptisms?

Not really.

Are you a godparent or baptismal sponsor? Have a story to tell?

Nope.

Do you have a favorite baptismal song or hymn?

"(Your name), (Your name), God claims you, God helps you, protects you and loves you, too!"

Then, there are 3-4 verses that go with it. It's so soothing and sweet, a lullaby welcome!

4 comments:

RevHRod said...

Thanks for playing. And I wasn't bored. You've given me a couple three things to think about!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

:-)

Sally said...

I am so pleased that the minister celebrates Baptisms for gay couples- it is so important. This is something I want to do next year when I have been ordained.

Auntie Knickers said...

I'm always glad to hear about GLBT-friendly churches and the people who go to them. Thanks!