Friday, December 21, 2007

Celebrating Winter Solstice


I just went out on my balcony to look for the moon. I didn't find it, but the night smelled wonderful!!! I could hardly bear to come back inside. And I did catch a glimpse of light which made me think the moon was just out of my range of sight.

Earlier, I talked to my wife, and we decided that today would be the shortest day if the actual solstice moment occurs tonight.

So, around 4:30pm, after I woke up from a lovely winter nap, the sun began to go down but it wasn't completely dark until around 5:20pm. Here's what we did to celebrate...

1) Both my son and I made little speeches honoring the darkness and the light that is to come.

2) We both put our pajamas on early (before 5pm).

3) He created a little "winter solstice dance", which inspired me to do the same.

4) We sang "In the Bleak Midwinter", sung by Shawn Colvin.

5) We lit candles when it got dark.

6) And I made our favorite food for dinner: penne pasta alfredo. The picture is my son finishing up his celebratory dinner.

I love ceremony!! It was fun :).

No comments: