Friday, December 21, 2007

Winter Solstice

I went to bed last night and woke up this morning to the pouring rain and a gusty wind, which made me ever-so-thankful for a warm comforter and a blanket. No sunshine on this cold winter solstice. I suppose that's appropriate!

But I'm having a great morning!

My son and I are burning a cinnamon apple candle, listening to Christmas music, reading Christmas stories and coloring last-minute Christmas gifts for Grandma and other family members. Well, he's actually doing the coloring, but it was my idea! :)

As a homeschooling day, I decided to mirror what usually happens on the last day of school before the holidays begin. So this afternoon, we're going to watch a Christmas movie, drink apple cider and eat Christmas cookies.

As it gets dark, we will probably do something to celebrate the winter solstice, but I'm not sure what that will be. The winter solstice actually will occur tonight at 1:08am, so the 22nd is the official date. I'm not sure which day will be the shortest day, so we will compare and celebrate both days.

And have I mentioned that I am officially on vacation?

No comments: