Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Feminine Face of God

I saw the moon today. In fact, I'm looking at it right now!

It's only a quarter moon, but still, I find it enormously soothing and comforting. I was staring at it and thinking about that a few minutes ago and thought, "the feminine face of God."

I facilitated a Sunday school class recently and asked everyone to write down characteristics of their ideal hero. And then, I had them flip the card over and describe their ideal leader. In both of my lists, I used words like "female" and "feminine".

Later in the class, I asked them to compare those lists to their experience of God. Does God seem to embody those ideal characteristics? He does for me, but I realized quite some time ago that I didn't really experience God as feminine and I wanted to, very much. So I asked for it.

Shortly after making that request, my love affair with the moon began!

I feel very connected to God when I see it. And I'm grateful for this added way of knowing God or experiencing God's presence.

No comments: