Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Five: Read Any Good Books Lately?

From RevGalBlogPals...

1) What book have you read in the last six months that has really stayed with you? Why?

The First Christmas, by Marcus Borg. It explores the Christmas stories and makes the point that some of the details may not be factual, but what's more important is what they mean, why they were included as part of the story. This emphasis on "taking the Bible seriously but not literally" has stuck with me.

2) What is one of your favorite childhood books?

These questions are such a coincidence, given the post I just wrote, before I even knew about them. But as I mentioned in my post below, the Little House series is one of my favorites. So is Little Women. And I have great fondness for Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret!

3) Do you have a favorite book of the Bible? Do tell!

I would say the Psalms! I'm facilitating my Sunday School class this Sunday and I chose Psalm 63 as the text because I love the close relationship it implies. They all seem to imply and affirm intimacy with God.

4) What is one book you could read again and again?

Great question! I have gotten to the end of some books and wished that I could read them again, but none are coming to mind right now.

5) Is there a book you would suggest for Lenten reading? What is it and why?

Well, there are two by Marcus Borg that I want to read...

Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time: The Historical Jesus and the Heart of Contemporary Faith

The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem

I think in both books, he leads people away from focusing on facts we've been told and toward an emphasis on faith as generated by relationship with God. He suggests that popular depictions of God and Jesus may actually create or sustain distance in the relationship with God.

Sigh. I'm not quite saying it right because it is more clear in my head than I can articulate. Sorry!


And because we all love bonus questions, if you were going to publish a book what would it be? Who would you want to write the jacket cover blurb expounding on your talent?

It would either be about deepening spiritual connection or about healing or both.

And I'm not sure who I'd want to have write the blurb. Oprah? Marianne Williamson? Jennifer Loudon? Not sure.

2 comments:

RevHRod said...

Definitely read "The Last Week". I think I liked it better than "The First Christmas". Lots of good stuff to glean.

Jeanine Byers said...

Oh good! Yeah, I definitely plan to read it!!